How to Get Rid of Smelly Feet in Men
Foot odor is typically the result of bacteria, which tends to grow in dark, damp areas. Feet have thousands of sweat glands and coupled with shoes, it is the perfect spot for this bacteria to grow. Never fear: You’re not destined to a life of smelly feet – there are plenty of things you can do about foot odor. Here’s a list of the best ways to get rid of smelly feet in men:
1. Give your shoes some space. Air them out between wearings. Sit them out in the sun if possible. If your shoes are particularly smelly, you may need to wash them to eliminate odor-causing bacteria. “7 Tips for Getting Rid of Body Odor” offers more advice on thwarting unpleasant scents.
2. Use an advanced body powder. Body powders are a great way to keep shoes odor-free. A powder with corn starch, zinc oxide and kaolin is best because it helps soak up moisture that can contribute to smelly feet. As a result, your feet remain dry and odor-free.
3. Wash your feet with a men’s body wash. A men’s body wash that contains both glycolic and salicylic acid can help get rid of dirt and other debris that can build up and cause bad food odor. Daily use of a men’s body wash can also help restore skin and prevent foot problems like calluses. For tips on callus prevention and management, check out “How to Get Rid of Calluses on Men’s Skin.”
4. Change socks at least once a day. Your socks can trap bacteria throughout the day, thereby increasing your chances of foot odor. Laundering socks in hot water will kill the bacteria responsible for the odor.
5. Chill out. Excessive stress can result in body odor, so make sure you’re doing everything in your power to relax. Take a day off and head to the beach, or lose yourself in a good book. The right distractions can help boost your mood and relieve stress. You may also want to consider a men’s omega-3 supplement; research suggests that omega-3s can help improve your mood and overall mental health. “The Importance of Omega 3 Fatty Acids” lists more benefits about this nutrient. Speaking of diets…
6. Watch what you eat. Occasionally, smelly feet can be related to your diet. A nutrient deficiency – particularly zinc and magnesium – can result in smelly feet. To combat body odor, consider a men’s multivitamin that contains a full spectrum of vitamins and minerals. That way, you’ll get all the nutrients you need to keep your body running at optimum levels. “Men’s Multivitamins 101” explains why you need to take your vitamins.
7. Avoid synthetic fibers in socks. Synthetic materials can make foot odor worse. Wool and cotton are better because odors tend to bind to polyester and nylon.
Please Share Your Thoughts:
- Foot Care for Men: Tips for Healthy Feet
- Wearing ill-fitting shoes can cause rough skin patches on your feet.
- 7 Tips to Fight Men’s Body Odor
- Get Rid of Men’s Undereye Wrinkles & Crow’s Feet
- How to Solve Sports-Related Skin Problems