Best Men’s Skincare Regimen for Your Skin Type
There has always been a lot of discussion on men’s skin types, and at MenScience we’ve tried to demystify this subject with the goal of making it more accessible to men. Everyone’s skin is unique and after studying thousands of skin types, we’ve come up with four basic skin types that describe almost every man’s skin characteristics.
Combination (Normal) Skin
The majority of men have a combination of skin types – usually a dry/oily combination. Parts of your face are dry and flaky while other parts such as the “T-Zone” (forehead, nose and chin) are oily and have a greasy look/feel. To determine whether you have combination skin, take a good look in the mirror. If you notice a shiny look around the T-Zone and dryness around your cheeks, you probably have combination skin.
Combination (Normal) Skin Regimen for Men
1. Use a gentle men’s face cleanser with salicylic acid to wash away excess oil without over-drying skin. By choosing a face wash for men that contains skin-soothing ingredients like glycolic acid and aloe, you’ll ensure your skin remains soft and supple.
2. Exfoliation plays a crucial role in skin health, so make sure you have a men’s face scrub on hand. A microfine face scrub for men removes dead skin cells and buildup that can clog pores and contribute to oily skin. Use it 3-4 times a week for the best results
3. Contrary to popular belief, you should not avoid moisturizer if some parts of your skin are oily. Oil and moisture are two very different things. Using a men’s moisturizing lotion can help ward off dry skin and control oil levels. Just be sure not to apply too much – this can give your face an even shinier appearance. Also, apply mostly to the drier areas and go light on the T-Zone.
4. Always use an anti-aging face cream. This provides the antioxidants and vitamins that your skin needs. Apply a thin layer evenly over the entire face area and repeat at night.
If you have dry skin, you’ve probably experienced the flakiness, itchiness and other skin problems that accompany it. Weather conditions like extreme heat and cold can aggravate dry skin, and wrinkles and fine lines are more common in people who have a dry skin type. Read “5 Dry Skin Causes for Men” for more information on how dry skin develops.
Dry Skin Regimen for Men
1. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. A moisturizer for men provides your skin with the necessary moisture to ward off annoying flakiness and dryness. For the best results, apply a moisturizer within five minutes of stepping out of the shower – this is the best time for absorption since your pores are open.
2. Use a men’s anti-aging cream. Because dry skin is more prone to aging signs like roughness, wrinkles and fine lines, an anti-aging cream for men can drastically help improve and protect the appearance of your skin. Make sure your anti-aging cream has advanced skincare ingredients like retinol, GABA and peptides for the best results.
3. If the area around your eyes is dry, consider an eye cream for men. Skin around the eyes is thinner and more sensitive, so you’ll see more improvement by using a men’s skincare product formulated specifically for that area.
4. Don’t neglect the rest of your body. Use a body lotion for men on your arms and legs to ensure you have smooth skin all over.
While oily skin is less prone to wrinkles, it brings its share of men’s skin problems. Excess oil on your skin can clog pores, resulting in acne breakouts. Also, excess oil makes your skin look greasy and dirty. Nevertheless, there are things you can do to minimize excess oil and put your best face forward. The goal is not to dry your skin, but to achieve an optimal balance between your skin type and the environment you live in, your lifestyle and your men’s skincare routine.
Oily Skin Regimen for Men
1. A men’s face mask is a great way to absorb excess oil and impurities from the skin. The green tea and clay found in high-quality face masks for men revitalize the skin and provide it with necessary antioxidants. Use just once or twice a week; it can take up to 3-4 weeks to see results.
2. Apply a men’s face tonic after using a men’s face wash. Using a men’s facial toner can help further remove deep-down organic debris and oil, while rebalancing skin’s moisture levels and softening it at the same time.
3. We can’t stress this point enough: Don’t let oily skin deter you from using a men’s moisturizer. A men’s face lotion and a men’s tinted moisturizer are both great choices for providing your skin with much-needed moisture. Just apply a small amount and avoid the oilier parts of your face such as the sides of your nose.
Pimples don’t only affect teenagers – it’s also common among adults. You can blame your genetics for that. Here’s what you can do to prevent and reduce the appearance of acne breakouts.
Acne-Prone Skin Regimen for Men
1. Always choose products marked as “non comedogenic.” Comedogenic products have ingredients that are commonly known to promote acne. Some of the better know comedogenic ingredients are coconut oil and mineral oil. Check out “Comedogenic Products vs. Non-Comedogenic Products” for more information.
2. You’ll most likely need to use a medicated product to control your acne. The two most active ingredients recommended by dermatologists are salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide, which can be found in dermatological-grade men’s acne creams, men’s acne lotions and men’s acne pads produced by MenScience. If you’re using acne treatment products, you should take special precautions, such as avoiding sun exposure. Consult your dermatologist if your condition worsens.
3. Use a men’s face tonic with an acidic PH and a men’s face wash with salicylic acid to keep pores clean and clear. Keeping your pores unclogged is essential to getting acne breakouts under control. Read “Tips to Prevent Acne Scars” for information on minimizing the appearance of acne scars.
Please Share Your Thoughts:
- Acne Treatments for Your Skin Type
- How to Use a Men’s Face Wash in a Men’s Skincare Routine
- Slideshow: Men’s Facial Skincare Products
- How To: Start a Men’s Acne Skincare Treatment
- Retinol: An Effective Men’s Anti-Aging Skincare Treatment